Tuesday, March 27, 2012

No Introduction needed.... continued

ANDREA MANARD


Andrea Manard is a self-taught mixed media artist based in Memphis.  She has been creating paintings, art objects, and jewelry for the last 12 years. Her work has appeared in Cloth Paper Scissors magazine, along with instructional articles she has written, and she has a piece currently on the cover of their 2012 calendar.  She also appeared on HGTV’S “That’s Clever” October 2011. We are excited to have her join our Eclectica family!

When asked about her style and type of art, Andrea responded "Mixed media art, mostly collage using vintage papers." I have a huge collection of vintage and vintage-looking papers and objects that I use in my work, and a lot of my inspiration comes from these materials. Everything I collect speaks to me in some way. All of these vintage materials have lived a long life, and you can see traces of their history in the wear from years of use. I like to daydream about where these often discarded items have been and when an imagined story whispers in the back of my mind, a piece of art is born. In addition to the materials themselves, I am inspired by nature and history (especially Memphis history), books, music, and tv (which I consume in mass quantities!), and I am especially inspired by things like science, maps, numbers, anything technical. While my favorite medium to work in is collage and acrylics, I tend to get bored easily, and that is the great thing about mixed media- it can mean just about anything. Just about any type of art or craft can be included. I have used polymer clay, needlework, stained glass techniques, printmaking techniques- I dabble in anything that sparks my interest. I do what I do because I have no choice. It is who I am. If I go too long without creating, I get grouchy and feel like something is missing. Something about me- I love animals. I have a rabbit, two guinea pigs, and a huge dog that spend most of the day with me in my studio.”

Andrea is one of 13 local artists chosen to turn a Memphis Flyer newspaper box into art and there is going to be an unveiling reception it is open to the public. http://www.facebook.com/events/264645200285997/

Andrea’s Upcoming Class:
In the Studio – Using Texture in Collage & Mixed Media
Saturday, March 31 at 10:30 AM -- $27
Mixed media is a fun and rewarding way to express your creativity. In this class we will explore different ways to add textures to a mixed media collage.  We will use a variety of materials and techniques to create a piece of art full of textures.  Please note: In addition to your basic tool kit, please bring a variety of synthetic paint brushes (the Claudine Hellmuth pack is perfect!), detail scissors and a ruler.  Please note this is a workshop length class. Spaces are filling up so call today and reserve your place. Call us at (901)-377- 0730

0 comments: